Friday 5 July 2013

Day 5 of Liam Corrigan's Day from Portugal Refereeing at the Iber Cup

Change of shirt today. If you wear Orange people will notice you.

I woke up to the hottest day since we arrived 38* Degrees knowing that I will be officiating in 3 tough looking play off matches, and I was right. I was with 3 other officials from Liverpool which was great to know, we have worked with each other before and also being close friends.
So we arrive at Fontainhas, knowing that we will have our work cut out with both heat and the games.
4th July, Independence Day in America, first up I have a Canadian U15's team Vs USA U15's, they received 3 independence cards off myself, all yellow in colour. 0-0 a tense, timid affair which dwindled out to a penalty shootout in which the USA team on 3-2 on penalties. To say I was tired was an understatement, never been dripping with as much with sweat as I was at the end, my pink top was drenched. I was glad to have two English speaking teams, I felt more comfortable getting my point across with the players. Around 150 spectators were present, chanting throughout the Queen song 'We Will Rock you'.
2nd game I was assistant referee, Croatian team U15's vs Spanish Local Team, the referee did remarkably well keeping a lid on the game, he done well to keep it to 8 yellows and a Red. Both teams did not like physicality shall we say. By this point I was running on empty. 3:0 to the Spaniards.
3rd game, Portuguese Local Team Vs Columbian Team U15's, eventful? Yes, yes it was! Columbian manager was a real scary guy, didn't speak a word of English, but could he shout? The players were constantly getting an ear bashing from him, he would not be allowed to coach in this manner back home! The game was a high tempo, passion pot, nobody stopping for breath! As assistant on this game I had a major incident in which I needed to inform the referee of what had happened as he could not physically see the incident. On my say so, the referee gave a red card to a Columbian player for an elbow off the ball. The Portuguese spectators were constantly on the referees back, as well as the two assistants so when full time game, Columbines winning 3:1, the Portuguese were hurling abuse at us, in which we ignored...until we got in the tunnel which was empty at time, and we belted out 'Always look on the bright side of life' this was a release of emotions after a very tough day, this was a real nice way to end a challenging but a successful day in which the match incidents have provided us with a lot of learning/development points. So the taxi home back to the hotel for food and the longest lie down you can imagine after that day!
Now a shower, change of clothes and a stroll down to the beach front, in which me and the other 3 officials from today will enjoy a few glasses of something...(Ahem) as the sun goes down on a fantastic day...

One of the venues where the games have been taking place

No comments:

Post a Comment