Friday 5 July 2013

Day 6 of Liam Corrigan's Blog from Portugal Refereeing in the Iber Cup

                                    Players getting ready for the customary handshake

Last night I received an email to inform me I will be officiating on two Quarter Finals at a ground called 'Dramatico' just around the corner from the hotel, I will give you a clue, the ground certainly lived up to its name, dramatic!!

I was on the early games with 3 other Liverpool officials, an early start, up at 6:30am for an 8:30am kick off, I was pleased as I thought it would not be so warm, think again, at least 24 degrees by kick off time. Both games were under 15's, and both Spanish Vs Portuguese, do I need to explain the rivalry?
First game was a local Spanish team vs a local Portuguese side, I was assistant referee. It started off relatively quiet...until the Portuguese spectators arrived singing, blasting vuvuzelas and waving flags! Bearing in mind this was at 8:30am in the morning. They did not stop util the final whistle and beyond. The game started quiet, but always keeping in the back of your mind the temperature of the game could rise in a second, one tackle and it could all go up. So half time comes and goes 2:0 to the Spaniards, keep it up we say. Then, 15 minutes to go the Portuguese team score, 2:1, game on. I then disallowed a goal for offside against the Spaniards, which would have made it 3:1. As the Portuguese pushed on they left themselves open at the back. The ball gets pinged forward to the Spanish striker who makes a run from his own half and slots it to seal the game 3:1.

Well, As quick as you can say Nando's, the Portuguese team charged at me and the refeee wanting the goal disallowed for offside, they argued he wasn't in his own half. The spectators behind then turned aggressive, chants in Portuguese towards me and the other officials. How quickly a carnival atmosphere can change, 70+ people all directing their anger at you! So the full time whistle came, cue the charge from the Portuguese players towards us 3 officials as we gathered in the centre circle, they were in our faces screaming 'Cheat' (Other words I can't write in this, use your imagination) we were confronted by all of the coaching staff also.

So as we made our way off to the tunnel, which was down the stairs, underneath the stand in which the Portuguese where gathered, they then started booing, whistling showing their disgust, the Spanish spectators were clapping us as they were pleased, obviously. Just as we went under the stand we were pelted with water & bottles from above as we took cover in the dressing room. The players then came banging on our changing room door, screaming, shouting!! This was a real surreal 5 minutes. This is a regular occurrence abroad when refereeing football matches, which shocked me! So a quick rest, water break and kit change before the second game! Athletico Madrid give a footballing lesson to a local Portuguese team, 3:0 in which it could have been more, a nice game after such a tough earlier game.
The team from the Previous game who caused us officials grief waited till the end of the second game so that they could see us as we made our way out of the ground, for one last chant towards us!
The finals are played tomorrow, so I shall see if I am appointed to a fixture, either way it has been a great week in which I have learnt a great deal to take back home with me to use in my game, in my natural surroundings!

Ps-I got confirmation off the 4th official, my decision to allow the goal to stand was correct. Phew!



No comments:

Post a Comment